National Strategic Action Plan
American Needlepoint Guild
The American Needlepoint Guild provides a stimulating and challenging environment through nationwide educational programs, a national publication, and Seminars & Exhibitions in which members: develop creative potential, serve public and professional constituencies, support faculty members in the joint pursuit of excellence in teaching and research, and promote intercultural understanding through the needle arts.
The American Needlepoint Guild is the premiere vehicle for education in the art, craft, and preservation of needlepoint.
Items of the background & environment germane to the creation of a strategic plan for the ANG:
ANG External environment - National Trends & Outside Competition for $, influence & membership
Forces/Trends - over which we have limited control
Newer generation - different interaction expectations
Changing Technology and member’s abilities to use it
Market Trends in change - in hobbies (craft)
Disposable time and/or money; our disposable resources
Demographics - Who are our members & where are they going?
The Economy in general
Blog vs. community?
External Stakeholders - the $$ competition, where we have greater control
Suppliers to the industry
Teachers (internal and external) need & expect good attendance
SunWest - Bookstore/Boutique/vendors
Competitors/Collaborators - an opportunity for bridges
Other needlework organizations:
- NAN SNS (totally online)
- EGA Calloway
- New Texas group
Simple approaches (?)
As a result of a Board of Directors meeting in November 2009 led by Vincette Goeri, areas of focus were developed for future strategic planning. The task of developing the multi-year plan was undertaken by Cathe McEnerney, Pat Rogers, and Judith Richardson. This plan is to be presented and approved by a BOD vote.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Objective 1.1 To increase and retain members at a rate of .5% each year.
- Activity 1.1.1 Transmit the membership list to each Chapter membership chair. (TRG membership, VP Membership, Area Reps, Chapter Membership Chair)
- Activity 1.1.2 Honor long-term members (30, 35, 40 years) each year with written recognition from National. Request their stories about why they have maintained their membership in ANG. These stories will be posted, with permission, as part of the E-newsletter. (President, TRG membership, VP/membership, Area Reps)
- Activity 1.1.3 Recognize effective chapter programs and activities that strengthen member participation in ANG via Chapter News in NP, Area Rep Newsletters, E-Newsletter, and Seminar meetings. (VP Membership, Area Reps, Chapter Program Chair)
- Activity 1.1.4 On the Chapter Membership Forms, solicit membership success stories and place selected stories on the ANG Yahoo! List and ANG Facebook pages. (VP Membership, Area Reps, Chapter Membership Chair, Internet Committee)
- Activity 1.1.5 Implement Early Registration for Seminar to increase Seminar attendance and ANG membership. (DOS, TRG, SFC)
- Activity 1.1.6 Review and revise chapter materials to aid chapter growth, e.g. Chapter Handbook, Chapter Treasurer Guidelines, and develop a membership tracking program (VP/Membership, Area Reps, Chapter Officers, and TRG)
- Objective 1.2 Encourage growth of Chapter membership.
- Activity 1.2.1 Recognize publicly the chapters that have increased membership each year. (TRG membership, VP Membership, Area Reps, Chapter Membership Chair)
- Activity 1.2.2 Request chapters contact former members at least once each biennium to encourage them to consider reinstatement. (VP Membership, Area Reps, Chapter Membership Chair)
- Objective 2.1 Increase non-dues revenue
- Activity 2.1.1 Promote donation to ANG funds through planned giving programs. (VP/O, Development Committee)
- Activity 2.1.2 Solicit advertising in Seminar Participant Handbook. (Seminar Coordinator, Local Seminar Coordinator)
- Activity 2.1.3 Develop a stronger Life Patron component of continued giving. (VP/O, VP/Membership, President, Development Committee
- Objective 2.2 Maintain fiscal stability of current funds
- Activity 2.2.1 Create RFP for every contract partner with goals and performance specifications, and monitor the contracts diligently. (BOD)
- Activity 2.2.2 Retain outside book keeping services to create long term stability and security of financial records. (BOD)
- Objective 3.1 Provide communication experiences via technology.
- Activity 3.1.1 Provide a guided tour of the ANG website for chapter and individual activities (Internet Committee, VP/Membership, President)
- Activity 3.1.2 Print a needlework question and correct answer on the Chapter News page. (Internet Committee, President, NP BOD liaison)